Tuesday, July 10, 2007

gracious goodness

regarding a conversation with A. tonight about baby mallards:

it was a kind and gentle thing, saving that little family of ducks from a potential untimely demise, and even amid the humorous slant, it really was a sweet and touching story. and most definitely "blog worthy"... only i can't seem to write anything that captures the essence of what you did.

so i'll use your own words, from another conversation..."the sweetness of humankind still makes my heart ache sometimes." that seems fitting to me.

and then i'll borrow marge piercy, who wrote a brilliant little poem about virtue that i thought about when you told me your story.


gracious goodness

On the beach where we had been idly
telling the shell coins--
cat's paw, cross-barred Venus, china cockle--
we both saw at once
the sea bird fall to the sand
and flap grotesquely.
He had taken a great barbed hook
out through the cheek and fixed
in the big wing.
He was pinned to himself to die,
a royal tern with a black crest blown back
as if he flew in his own private wind.
He felt good in my hands, not fragile
but muscular and glossy and strong,
the beak that could have split my hand
opening only to cry
as we yanked out the barbs.
We borrowed clippers, cut and drew out the hook.
Then the royal tern took off, wavering,
lurched twice,
the acrobat returned to his element, then dipped,
zoomed, and sailed out to dive for fish.

Virtue: what a sunrise in the belly.
Why is there nothing else
I have ever done with anybody
that seems to me so obviously right?

marge piercy
from living in the open

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi,I'am a grade 10 school student at Lake Trail high school doing an essay on Gracious Goodness in wich i have to campare and contrast with another peom called "To have succeeded" by ralph Emersin on how each peoms approach to success in life, so if you could help me or even write the esay that would be great! My emial is del_bam23@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

Hi, I'm also a grade 10 student in San Pedro Sula, Honduras at EIS (Escuela Internacional Sampedrana). I have to analyze the poem Gracious Goodness and talk about it in class for 10 minutes. I just wanted to say that, FYI. That's all. Bye :)

Anonymous said...

Ha ha I am also a grade 10 student, and i happen to be writting a eaasy on Gracious Goodness. Just thought it was kind of funny

Anonymous said...

Crazy! I'm also a grade 10 student having to write an essay on this poem.

Anonymous said...

wow!!!! i'm also in grade 10 and have to do an essay on this poem. But i have to compare it to the poem "to have succeeded" just the like person above :) LOL just thought i'd share

Anonymous said...

lol im also a 10 grade studeny (this poem is popular for 10 graders!) i was wondering if someone could tell me the mood and tone of this poem? that'ld be great!

Anonymous said...

Hey I'm also in grade 10 and I have to write a compare and contrast essay about this poem and 'What Happened During the Ice Storm'! Weird!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I'm a tenth grader and I have to write a comparison contrast essay on this and What Happened During the Ice Storm as well!! Creeeeepy.

Anonymous said...

I am a tenth grader too and I have to write a compare and contrast essay on this and "What happened during the Ice storm?"... Maybe all English teachers want to just ruin our weeks.

Anonymous said...

It's weird that you guys are all doing the same poems i am in my class and I'm in grade 12

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh! grade 10 student here as well, cursing the internet for help with my essay on this poem

Anonymous said...

10th grader too. Wow looks like we're all here

Anonymous said...

ya tenth grade wow small world

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous, I'm a 10th grader too but I'm just analyzing this poem for my first semester final.