Thursday, December 20, 2007

bangor media needs a spanking

A storm is brewing in Orono, and there's an 11-year old kid in the middle of it, and even though I'm writing this at 5 am in the morning, I can feel my blood pressure rising and the proverbial 'juices' heating up. Find me a soapbox because I need to stand on it and scream.

I know I proposed a holiday cease-fire with a certain group of fundies. I also know that they'll never, EVER, find enough self restraint (or more importantly, compassion) to even consider reporting on something else besides our "evil homosexual agenda" for 30 days. Whatever. I am challenging myself to post about this incident in Orono without mentioning "their names", even though they've now stooped to an incredibly vicious low by aggressively going after a kid. I've given them enough ink and links. I'm going to try and find a more positive, pro-active way to react to what's happening upstate in Orono.

I've been following this story for awhile. Here's the very, very short version of what I think could become a very dangerous situation.

An 11 year old kid in Orono who was born male is transitioning and identifying as female. From what I can gather, her parents have been working closely with the school (gawd love them), one result being that she can now use the girl's restroom. This news twisted the panties of another student's grandfather, and he told his grandson to start using the girl's restroom too, in protest. And the grandson did. And was suspended. And now all proverbial hell is breaking loose in Orono, and They Who Shall Not Be Mentioned are right smack dab in the middle of it, of course.

Pam's House Blend, one of the best blogs in the blogosphere, picked up the story. I appreciate their perspective, and especially appreciate the pro-active slant.

Please read it here, and then pick up the telephone and call WABI-TV and the Bangor Daily News and tell them to get it together. I don't know what I can do in "my neck of the woods", but I'm going to explore that today and if there is anything more to do, I'll be sure to let you know. What I know for certain is that I'm worried for the safety of this kid.

Stay tuned, because I'm certain there's more to come.

9 comments:

Allison said...

grrrr. Thanks for the update. I'm going to call WABI & the Bangor Daily News today. And do let us know if there is anything else that can be done.

crowinthesnow said...

And people wonder why some people in Southern Maine want to secede . . . ok, ok, I know - that's not fair. Most people there are tolerant, and there are some highly intolerant people everywhere. Unfortunately, it's the intolerant ones that get the press, but people like that are a big part of why I moved from the northern half of the state down to Portland.

Anonymous said...

It is not a matter of tolerance. I am a very tolerant person, however, I do not feel that an 11 year old boy should be forced ot become a girl. I also do not feel that this is "normal" at that age, and this kid needs some serious help. IF the parents cared about their child, they would see to it that the kid got help. The BDN and WABI have done a good job covering the story. IT is about time that someone stood up for the rights of the family. While Gay's and Lesbian's are getting additional rights under the law, mine are being erroded. This story is a prime example of why America is heading straight down the tubes. Try this stuff 30 years ago and this kid would be sent directly to the asylum, and the parents arrested. I appluad Mr. Melanson for standing up for his grandson and his rights as a normal human being.

crowinthesnow said...

To anonymous: I had a response to your comment all written, but realized that people who say that they are "very tolerant, however . . ." usually aren't. So, I won't bother - you won't listen, anyway.

crowinthesnow said...

And sorry about the multiple comments, but how come none of this stuff ever winds up on Gaynet? I mostly only get these stories from your blog. Odd.

cramer said...

Funny how the only negative post is from "anonymous". Have some balls enough to say who you are...

As for forcing an eleven year old to become a girl...ever talk to the child or parents? I think not. I doubt the parents are doing that at all. I am sure they have medical help and social help to understand and love their child. This is not an easy situation...that said, they stand by their child and love their child.

As for embracing sending the kid to the asylum...yeah, that is great support. How are your rights being erroded...? Please feel free to let us all know...but again, have the guts to post under something other than anon.

The Matriarchs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
the matriarchs said...

We are so very proud of you, Koko, and of the impact you have made as evidenced in the media that will be published in the a.m.

cramer said...

Hmmmm, deleted comment. Something tells me the "anon" was an idiot...

Well D...keep rocking.