Saturday, December 22, 2007

commander in chief

so last week i had the "honor" of being mentioned on The Record via a "headline" that read: EqualityMaine's Huntress Outraged at Bangor Media. And linked directly to my blog.

I am sending out a heartfelt thanks to my pals over at CCL. Unique hits to The Slant have quadrupled since the free advertising and are steadily rising as I sit here type-type-typing away. So far, any comments and/or emails I've received have been overwhelmingly kind and supportive, with only an occasional missive from someone who thinks my life and writing style will surely lead me to the Gates of Hell. Oh well. As Lady Bug, the fantastically brilliant vice president of the homosexual rights movement, once said, "think of all the amazing organizing we'll be able to do down there with all those thirsty queers and forward-thinkers."

So as my blog readership increases, I'm figuring that every now and again I'm probably going to have to read some comment that doesn't whole-heartedly embrace my view and I'm okay with that. I've got thick skin and a very healthy sense of humor. And a thirst for new ideas and thoughts about all the many topics covered inside this blog. But I have decided that if a comment pisses me off too much, or is just out-and-out too nasty, it's going into the Great Slant Trash Can In The Sky, never to be heard from again. The way I look at it, I get to be the Dictator of This World. It's MY world after all, and y'all are living in it. I don't have that kind of freedom outside of The Slant so I plan on exercising every bit of it in here. Like Ani said once "I always wanted to be commander-in-chief of my one-woman army."

That said, I welcome healthy debate. I appreciate someone who might see the world differently than I do. I don't have every answer. Hell, most of the time I am not even sure what questions to ask. All I have in my pocket at the start of the day is my own perspective, based on the journey of which I keep plugging along. Anything else I accumulate or pick up along the way usually comes from someone who has some fresh idea or world view to share with me. Life is one big buffet of new and interesting experiences and baby, I'm a very hungry traveler.

Bottom line: show me or anyone else who contributes to the conversation in here some respect, and you're welcomed to stay and visit.

But assholes?

They need not apply.

That's all for now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your new fame!!! Just don't let it go to your head, dear ... and never forget where you came from. Love Aunti Em ;-)(aka Jean)

cramer said...

Heinys need not apply...hahahah. You are doing great, keep up all the good work.

I wonder if the CCL would allow the same healthy debate on their site? I have to say no. I remember posting a few, very respectful comments...only to have them deleted. The Ccl wants all the followers follow, not debate.

Bravo to you.