Saturday, December 08, 2007

i heart bill nemitz

so last weekend, EqualityMaine collaborated with the South Portland First Congregational Church for a screening of a truly profound and touching film called For The Bible Tells Me So. This documentary has won a ton of awards and was nominated for the Grand Jury Prize at the Sundance Film Festival in 2007. The synopsis, in three sentences, which I lifted off their website: "Can the love between two people ever be an abomination? Is the chasm separating gays and lesbians and Christianity too wide to cross? Is the Bible an excuse to hate?"

This film rocked my world because I grew up attending a Baptist church, and I know with my whole heart that I would never, EVER, be welcomed back in that church as an out and proud dyke. Hell would literally have to freeze over for that to happen. And the fact is, I would never want back "in" anyway. But my entire family has very, very close ties to their own Baptist church, and I wonder sometimes what's going to happen when they are finally confronted with the fact that their church condemns their oldest daughter to eternal damnation because she is a lesbian. Maybe it's already happened and they just haven't told me about it. I don't know. They love me, they're proud of me, and my mom and dad, who are forced to live very frugally on a fixed income, donate money every year to EqualityMaine. Perhaps they have found a way to reconcile the spiritual needs that their church fulfills with their love and support of me. I hope so.

More than 200 people attended the screening, including Mike Hein of the Christian Civic League and five members of his Merry Band of Religious Fundies. Whatever. It was a public showing and everyone was welcomed. Hein roamed around with his trusty digital camera and wrote this little "news item" about his experience on The Record. Again, whatever. His presence at these queer events means little if anything at all to me anymore except that I find it...amusing. But beyond that, it's utterly inconsequential to me. I stopped caring about what the Christian Civic League thinks of me and mine a long time ago. They are just cheap entertainment and beyond that, meaningless.

Of course, I do love it when someone else calls them on them out. And Bill Nemitz of the PPH loves to call them out. You just have to read this column he posted on Friday. It's delicious: Is Heath the Bogeyman of Tolerance?

Bill Nemitz, the Homosexual Rights Movement loves you baby. Big time.

No comments: