Sunday, February 17, 2008

detroit river











I Be Your Water
by Bernice Johnson Reagon


I woke up moaning in a crowded sick place
Surrounded by evil, protected by grace
There were these hands, hundreds reaching for me
They knew exactly who and what I should be
Each way I turned, each one stronger than the last
Which would I choose and how could I pass

Then I heard whispers (be still, be still, be still)
From deep inside (be still, be still, be still)
Then I heard whispers (be still, be still, be still)
From deep inside (be still, be still, be still)

As I gave power to the sound of my own voice
A wave broke before me, I followed my choice
I walked along the waves of the lives that passed
Till I came to what seemed like an end
Again there, hands, they were reaching for me
They knew exactly who and what I should be

Again the whisper (be still, be still, be still)
Keeping me safe (be still, be still, be still)

What came before me was mine to take
There was no road, no path to take
As I had my life through this muddy rock place
Other toil beside me for a justice to take
I have felt lonely, most of the time
Walking this sweet freedom struggle of mine
I have felt lonely, most of the time
Walking this sweet freedom struggle of mine

Saved by the whisper (be still, be still, be still)
Making me stay (be still, be still, be still)
Saved by the whisper (be still, be still, be still)
Making me stay (be still, be still, be still)

Yesterday I stumbled around the bend
I saw you standing you reached me your hand
I seen you before, oh many a time
Why your life had paved the road right next to mine
Now you make the sun rise in my sky
You rock the cradle of me, you make me fly
You keep me company
Now you make a sound
Rise in my sky, you rock my cradle honey,
you make me fly
You keep me company

I be your shelter
I be your land
I be your everything
I be your friend
I be your water
When you’re thirsty and dry

1 comment:

healingkid said...

Thanks for posting the lyrics of this ( life / love ) song.

Is it not "From deep inside [me]" ? There may be different versions.

I wonder.