Friday, February 01, 2008

auds

it's been a ridiculously busy week, and i've had not one second to post on The Slant. fortunately, i have friends who don't mind contributing on occasion.

so thanks to Auds for letting me post her truly lovely early morning thoughts...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"the rays of today"

my mornings are quiet and mostly beautiful. then again how could they not be?

I bundle up against the winds and cold, probably looking like I am 4 sizes larger than I am. my dog crisscrosses in my path, the entire 2 blocks to the beach.

today the sky stretched out before me with one strip of cloud hovering above the horizon, equi-distant from the weather bank that sits upon the our portion of the world. the bank is a deep rich vibrant purple, the cloud a brilliant pink that screams of neon but is warmer, if that makes any sense, and the sky is gold. as I walk with the wind in my face and the sea rolling in a conversation of the storm that will soon greet us, I wish, for a moment, for warm weather and to don my flip flops and walk in that surf.

As Burl runs ahead to greet another, his feet loud on the frozen sand, I glance at the horizon. I smile…the sun's entrance is announced by the streak of a red gold beam that is shooting straight up into the sky, slicing in half the cloud and painting the purple bank with pink. I sit and wait for the breaking of "dawn", yet it is light all around me. Burl accepts my position by digging his ball into a hole, which can only be explained by witnessing this event.

I sit, and the beam widens yet loses no intensity. I sit, and it streaks higher, transforming the bank into pink with hints of purple. I sit. I breathe. I wait. I close my eyes and feel the cold, then my eye lids burst into golden light.

the sun has risen. I missed that little sound it makes when it POPS into sight.
or maybe it’s me.



No comments: