Wednesday, March 19, 2008

random rant in no specific order, please forgive

A few weeks back I ranted a tiny bit about Obama's association with Donnie McClurkin (and was taken to task for it.) It was a post actually praising Obama, but I hinted at some criticism over the Dingbat Donnie situation.

Now I've caught myself in a catch-22 (caught in a catch...is that redundant?) because I feel like ranting about Obama's pastor and how he's been held accountable for his pastor's own rants. I feel like ranting about how Hillary is sorta connected to Elliot Spitzer and so is now responsible for Ashley Alexandra Dupre because she hasn't taken a presidential-like stance on the evils of prostitution. I feel like screaming 'this is such bullshit!' but I realize I can't have it both ways. I can't bitch about Obama hanging onto Dumbboy Donnie and then bitch about how we should cut him some slack about his minister, or bitch about how I could give a rat's ass if Hillary doesn't publicly condemn Spitzer about having to pay for sex.

Hmmm.

Dimwit Donnie (I am enjoying this exercise in alliteration.)
Rev. Jeremiah Wright.
Elliot and Ashley up in a tree, K-I-S-S-I-N-G.

I am certain I can't condemn two of the reactions and then condone one of them. (maybe someone can help me out with that.)

Ah. Righteous indignation rears its ugly head.

The bottom line, I guess, is that I care more about the fact that our current president thinks the war in Iraq was (or more accurately, IS) worth it. Nice, George. Beautiful. And that it costs me 340 bucks a month to heat my apartment and that's only if i keep the thermostat at 65 and freeze my ass off. And that when i do groceries, and look at price tags, i am confronted with these small but expensive facts:


  • milk is up 17% from last year
  • cheese: 15%
  • pasta and rice: 13%
  • bread: 12%
  • and...drum roll please...in the last two years...eggs, 35%

And that because of all these increases in the cost of living--or better put, the cost of barely living and being one paycheck away from homelessness--I still can't afford to buy a car and have to hoof my way around the city or depend on the generosity of my friends or the barely bearable Portland public transit system.

Let's not even talk about the health care disaster and the crap education disaster and the ever widening gap between the very rich and everyone else and prescription drug prices and the decrease in social service funding and the increase in corporate welfare and a social security collapse and homeland (in)security and our addiction to fossil fuel and the fact that most of the world thinks we're arrogant assholes and human rights violators and on and on and on.

It sure feels like we're on the brink of utter doom (utter doom...that's for you, Matriarch) so I gotta let go of Douchebag Donnie (ooh! another one!!) and Rev. Wright and Elliot Spitzer. These are tiny matters in comparison to the gargantuan wrecking ball that's sweeping across this country. If we nitpick these candidates to pieces, and if these candidates continue pissing all over each other, and if we don't find some way to unify this i-gotta-process-my-feelings-and-then-i'll-get-back-to-you-Democratic-Party, we're gonna end up with this scenario:

President John McCain.

Attention Dems: We need to get. our. shit. together. now.

2 comments:

michael said...

this might be my favorite slant rant of all times:

"Let's not even talk about the health care disaster and the crap education disaster and the ever widening gap between the very rich and everyone else and prescription drug prices and the decrease in social service funding and the increase in corporate welfare and a social security collapse and homeland (in)security and our addiction to fossil fuel and the fact that most of the world thinks we're arrogant assholes and human rights violators and on and on and on."

Right on Enny.

xo
Michael

PresterJohn said...

Was it Will Rogers who quipped something like, " I don't belong to any organized political party, I'm a Democrat."

Maybe y'all need to goose step like the Republicans. *laughs*