Tuesday, May 06, 2008

ain't life a brook

it was mentioned this morning on one of the list serves i belong to that ferron will be playing at the college of the atlantic in bar harbor in a few weeks. i heart ferron. and i realize that probably answers any questions about my age...put me in the 40'ish category...though i know her music is kind of timeless and reaches across the age divide (and please matriarch, no comments about my dating habits here.)

annnnyway...i posted on the list-serve that ferron's music was therapy for me, seeing me through two relationships-gone-bad. and the two times i have ever truly, undoubtedly, been deep-down-to-the-bone in love. the first was my first real love. i was 22 and clueless and the cluelessness was a great contributor to that breakup. the second was really a marriage...an 11-year odyssey that was filled with both remarkable beauty and profound sadness.

when those relationships ended, i listened to ferron almost non-stop, and in particular, i must have played 'ain't life a brook' on my headphones 800 times. it's a little cheesy i know...and very melodramatic...but that song got me through some serious heartache. and when i hear it now, it just takes. me. back. it's not so much painful anymore, though it always puts a lump in my throat. it's really kind of lovely and bittersweet. those two women taught me so much, about me, about life, about love...and about letting go. and i loved them with my whole heart.

and yeah, ferron was one helluva a therapist.

i searched on line for the song, and could only find this youtube version. it's a live recording of ferron singing ain't life a brook, with footage of someone bumping around in a kayak. my advice...close your eyes and just listen. the video isn't great, at all.

but the song is just music for your soul.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, are we going to feron? proof that i am truly an old soul, i am also in love with her and her music.

lb

toklas23 said...

lady bug: um, you fly and i'll buy. it's the 16th. available?

Dawn on MDI said...

If you come this far and do not get in touch, I will be highly offended. The couch is available if you need it. Hell, I might even cough up the cash and go to the show.