Wednesday, July 23, 2008

island out to sea

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach--waiting for a gift from the sea." Anne Morrow Lindberg

"Whenever I find myself growing grim about the mouth; whenever it is a damp, drizzly November in my soul; whenever I find myself involuntarily pausing before coffin warehouses, and bringing up the rear of every funeral I meet; and especially whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off--then, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can." Herman Melville

"The voice of the sea speaks to the soul. The touch of the sea is sensuous, enfolding the body in its soft, close embrace. " Kate Chopin

"Look at that sea, girls--all silver and shadow and vision of things not seen. We couldn't enjoy its loveliness any more if we had millions of dollars and ropes of diamonds." Lucy Maud Montgomery

1 comment:

Dawn on MDI said...

yes.

when we moved back to Maine from Minnesota (Indan word for "weather sucks totem poles") I vowed I would never live anywhere again where the tides were not printed in the local paper and tide charts were available at the local bait store. At night here, I can hear the harbor bell off Otter Point. On foggy mornings I can hear the cruise ships blat their way blindly through the mist seeking the harbor with its t-shirts and lobster ice cream. When the wind is right, I can smell salt. A day does not go by that I do not see salt water or hear a gull cry, even in the winter.

I read somewhere that the ocean has the precise salinity level as our bodies. There is a reason that time on salt water is restorative. It is good for us. We come from it and it helps us to wrap ourselves in it once more.

Nice post. Love the Melville.