Tuesday, July 08, 2008

the price of hunger

i'm a big fan of the American News Project, a new, on-line video journalist site that claims its inspiration comes from something that Joseph Pullitzer wrote 130 years ago:

"Always fight for progress and reform, never tolerate injustice or corruption, always fight demagogues of all parties, never belong to any party, always oppose privileged classes and public plunderers, never lack sympathy with the poor, always remain devoted to the public welfare... always be drastically independent, never be afraid to attack wrong, whether by predatory plutocracy or predatory poverty."

from what i can tell so far, Joseph would be very, very pleased.

if you've not been to their website, you are missing out on some truly remarkable stuff. a story submitted by Garland McLaurin on June 25th about hunger really got to me, particularly since my mom and dad are dealing with this very thing right now. once my parents find their way through the monthly bills, they have $45 a week left over for groceries. this does not figure in heating oil or taxes. or the hospital bills that will most certainly be arriving soon. my mom and dad are very, very good at being poor, and as i've mentioned before, they sure taught me well too. but they've never had to face what's coming down the road, at full speed. i worry about them so much that i lose sleep over it.

i wish i had money to burn. i wish i was one of those kids that could just write a check every month and send it their way. but i got worries too...like how *i'm* going to pay for *my* heating oil in six months. i'm doing whatever i possibly can think of to help. i'm hoping to talk my mom into at least letting me pick up their grocery bill once a month, though i have a feeling i know how that's going to shake out. i'm going down to shapleigh in a few weeks, and we're going to make a visit to the York County Community Action Center, among other places. my parents paid into this system their entire lives, and i'm just hoping the system appreciates that and reciprocates. but anything i can think of still feels like i'm using a band-aid where a tourniquet is required. and my mom and dad are but two people out of the millions who are a penny or two away from catastrophe. this is the stuff that makes me wring my hands. this is the stuff that my nightmares are made of.

anyway, here's the piece on hunger. oh, and my apologies for a bit of the screen missing. that's just me, showing off my tech-savviness. (not.) helpful hints from 'puter geeks are always welcomed. until then, i suggest hitting the full screen option.

2 comments:

michael said...

it is getting very scary out there, indeed. i'm figuring that soon we'll be living in multi-generational homes, just like in the old days when people had no other choice. it was how you survived. i'm not sure that's a bad thing, (unless your family is crazy like mine is.)

that said, i have a hard time picturing you in shapleigh. you'd have to find you a girl that likes country livin', no doubt about that.

hang in there honey. and give your parents a big michael-sized hug for me.

Jenna said...

I make, what I would have considered 15 years ago as a lot of money, and I still stay up late at night and cry about how I will make ends meet. I don't know what I am going to do. We could certainly use the $10 Billion a month being spent in Iraq alone. GW owes us an apology, yes he does. We (America) can do better.