Wednesday, August 27, 2008

o pioneer


from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Lesbian rights pioneer Del Martin dies



(08-27) 12:29 PDT SAN FRANCISCO -- Del Martin, a lesbian rights pioneer who took part in one of California's first same-sex weddings, died today in San Francisco after a long period of declining health. She was 87.

Ms. Martin's political activism began in the 1950s when she co-founded a ground-breaking lesbian rights organization. On June 16, she and her partner of 55 years, Phyllis Lyon, were married at San Francisco City Hall by Mayor Gavin Newsom, her last public act of political activism.

Ms. Martin died this morning at UCSF Hospice, nearly two weeks after she was admitted with a broken arm. Lyon was at her side.

"Ever since I met Del 55 years ago, I could never imagine a day would come when she wouldn't be by my side," Lyon said in a statement issued by the National Center for Lesbian Rights. "I am so lucky to have known her, loved her and been her partner in all things."

"I also never imagined there would be a day that we would actually be able to get married," Lyon said. "I am devastated, but I take some solace in knowing we were able to enjoy the ultimate rite of love and commitment before she passed."

1 comment:

MRMacrum said...

It's great she was able to benefit from some of the tribulations of carrying that torch for so many years.

The more I read of your life and Dawn's, the idea that you are different fades and I know we are all the same. The fact that we even need laws to pound home that fact really pisses me off.